Contract Basic Terms
- Contractor’s full name, address, and telephone number. Illinois law requires that persons selling home repair and improvement services provide their customers with notice of any change to their business name or address that comes about prior to the agreed dates for beginning or completing the work.
- A description of the work to be performed.
- Starting and estimated completion dates.
- Total cost of work to be performed.
- Schedule and method of payment, including down payment, subsequent payments, and final payment.
- A provision stating the grounds for termination of the contract by either party. However, the homeowner must pay the contractor for work completed. If the contractor fails to commence or complete work within the contracted time period, the homeowner may cancel and may be entitled to a refund of any down payment or other payments made towards the work upon written demand by certified mail.
- Keep a copy of the signed contract in a safe place for reference as needed.